things to do in wellington new zealand
If you’re looking for a destination that offers a diverse array of activities and attractions, look no further than Wellington, New Zealand. From skiing in the winter to surfing in the summer, this city has something for everyone. Moreover, with plenty of things to do all year round, you won’t be bored for a moment. In this article, we’ve put together a list of some of the best things to do in Wellington; from hikes to nightlife options, there’s something for every traveller. So why wait?pack your bags and head on over to New Zealand!
What to Do in Wellington on a Day Out
One of the most underrated cities in New Zealand, Wellington is a wonderful place to explore on a day out. With its beautiful colonial architecture and stunning natural surroundings, it’s a great place for a lazy stroll or bike ride. If you’re looking for something more active, there’s plenty to do here too – from climbing the hill behind the city centre to exploring the picturesque lakes region in the north. Here are some of our favourite things to do in Wellington:
-Walk or cycle around Wellington’s charming historical neighbourhoods
-Explore the city’s magnificent colonial architecture
-Take a day trip to nearby Wairarapa or Nelson
-Visit one of Wellington’s many parks and botanic gardens
-Enjoy a picnic lunch near one of the city’s many lakes
Nightlife in Wellington
Wellington is home to a thriving nightlife scene, with plenty of places to enjoy a drink or dance the night away. Here are five of Wellington’s best night spots:
1. The Roxy Cinema
The Roxy Cinema is well known for its retro style and excellent indie and international film screenings. It also features regular live music and DJs, making it a popular spot for socialising and dancing late into the night.
2. The Eagle & The Pig Pub
The Eagle & The Pig Pub is one of Wellington’s oldest pubs, dating back to 1871. It’s located in the heart of downtown Wellington and has been a popular spot for drinks and pub snacks since then. It regularly hosts live music, including local bands and international acts, making it a great place to catch a show while enjoying some casual drinks with friends.
3. The Espy Club
The Espy Club is a popular venue for up-and-coming local bands as well as international acts looking to play in Wellington. It has two stages – one smaller stage on the ground floor and one larger stage on the first floor –making it ideal for hosting large concerts or nightclub events. Board games are also available for guests to enjoy during their time at the club.
4. Gahan Street Social Club
Gahan Street Social Club is another popular venue in Wellington that offers great live music 365 days a year. Whether you’re looking for funk, soul, metal or indie rock
Things to Do in the surrounding Area
Wellington is a city located in the North Island of New Zealand. It is the capital city and most populous area of the country. Wellington has a population of about 553,000 people and is considered one of the world’s most liveable cities according to the Economist Intelligence Unit index. The city has many attractions including its well-maintained Victorian architecture, parks and gardens, boutique galleries and restaurants, as well as beaches and ski slopes. Some other popular attractions include Te Papa Museum, Cable Car Museum, Thorndon Quay precinct with its cafes and restaurants, Lambton Quay with its boutiques, art galleries and theaters.
The best things to do in Wellington
If you’re looking for a fun and exciting city to explore, Wellington may be the perfect spot. From world-renowned museums to scenic walks, there are plenty of things to do in Wellington. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Take a walk through one of Wellington’s many parks. Pick from Phoenix Park with its lush gardens and wildlife, or Huxley Park for a more urban experience with stunning views of the city skyline.
2. Check out one of the city’s top museums. The Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa has an impressive collection covering everything from Maori culture to natural history, while the National Gallery features works from world-renowned artists like Rembrandt and Monet.
3. Visit one of Wellington’s famed wineries. With tours that allow you to sample different wines and snacks, vineyards like Waikato Cellars offer a unique way to enjoy scenic countryside while learning about wine production firsthand.
4. Catch a performance at one of Wellington’s theatres. From Shakespeare in the Park to contemporary shows by local playwrights, there’s something for everyone to enjoy at one of the city’s theaters—even if you don’t usually enjoy seeing plays on stage!
5. Spend an afternoon shopping in trendy boutiques and street markets around downtown Wellington. From vintage finds to edgy brands, there’s something for everyone in this lively district full of shops and cafes.
The best places to stay in Wellington
If you’re looking for a place to stay in Wellington, there are a few options available. You can stay in one of the city’s many hotels or guesthouses, or alternatively find an Airbnb apartment or house.
Here are five of the best places to stay in Wellington:
1. The Base Hotel – This centrally located hotel is perfect if you’re looking for convenience and comfort. The Base offers modern amenities like free Wi-Fi and a restaurant that’s open until late night.
2. Villa Verde Guesthouse – If you’re looking for something unique and charming, check out Villa Verde Guesthouse. This small guesthouse is situated in the heart of Wellington, close to all the action but away from the noise.
3. The B&B on Lambton Quay – If you’re looking for somewhere peaceful and relaxing to stay, The B&B on Lambton Quay is definitely worth considering. This bed and breakfast offers stunning views of the city skyline and delicious breakfast every morning.
4. The Wellington Central Hotel – If luxury is what you’re after, then look no further than The Wellington Central Hotel. This luxurious hotel offers impeccable service and spacious rooms that will make your stay comfortable and relaxing.
5. Watergate View Apartment – If you’re looking for something more private but still within walking distance to all the action, Watergate View Apartment is perfect for you! This stylish apartment features
The best things to eat in Wellington
Wellington is a vibrant city with plenty of things to do, and there are plenty of excellent restaurants to choose from. Here are five of the best places to eat in Wellington.
1) The Roxy: This restaurant is perfect for a romantic night out, with delicious steak and seafood dishes. With extensive wine list, it’s also the perfect place to relax after a busy day exploring the city.
2) Bodega: This bar is like your home away from home – you can come for drinks any time of the day or night, and there’s always something happening on the floor. If you’re feeling energetic, try their food truck outside!
3) Zetterburn: This stylish café serves up delicious breakfast and lunch options, as well as some great coffee. They also have an adorable courtyard with lovely plants and outdoor seating.
4) The Ginger Club: If you’re looking for unique dining experiences, this is the place for you! They serve up everything from sushi to Indian cuisine, so there’s something for everyone at this restaurant.
5) Hawksworth: Nestled in one of the prettiest neighbourhoods in Wellington, this restaurant offers breathtaking views of Queens Wharf plus mouth-watering food such as rack of lamb and Chilean sea bass.
What else to do in New Zealand
There’s plenty to do in Wellington, whether you’re looking for a day out with the family or want to explore the city on your own. Here are some of our favorite things to do in Wellington:
Take a stroll through Cuba Street and check out the designer boutiques and cafes. This lively street is well-connected to the city centre and makes for a great place to spend an afternoon shopping or grabbing a coffee.
If you’re looking for something more active, head to Te Papa Tongarewa—New Zealand’s national museum—for some fascinating exhibits about Polynesian culture and history. Or take the kids for a ride on the hugely popular Big Top Tiger safari park, which offers close encounters with friendly tigers, lions, giraffes, bears and other animals.
For something different, head to Weta Workshop—one of Wellington’s most famous tourist attractions—and tour its cutting-edge movie studios where computer-generated creatures such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy were made. And don’t forget to have a bite at one of Wellington’s many unique restaurants while you’re there!